Sunday, October 30, 2011

Have you ever bobbed for apples?


Part three in our Halloween tradition extravaganza is likely the most obscure of the traditions of the season. Not everybody has heard of bobbing for apples in this day and age. I think that's because this isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do. It takes plenty of space to set up a big water-filled tub, float a bag of apples inside and have room to kneel down and start chomping away. My two cents, take it for what it's worth, is that apple bobbing has sort of fallen out of fashion since we spend a lot of time, effort and money on Halloween costumes. I know I wouldn't have wanted to mess up my "Poor college professor/student who's saving money to go to France next year and just wore my regular clothes" costume.

But believe me, apples have always been a huge part of fall revelries. The apple was one of the symbols of Pomona, the Roman goddess of plenty. Her celebrations were held after the fall harvests, a time when people were partying because they had gathered all of the bounty that would get them through the winter.

As Roman mythological influence decreased in Europe, other forms of religion took hold. But the celebration of fall abundances- including apples- never went away. In Celtic Ireland and Scotland, apples were often seen as a symbol of fertility. Even though the religious influence was different, the idea of celebrating the fall bounty was still there. At Celtic fall festivals, apple bobbing became extremely important. Single folks, male and female, greedily dove into the floating apples because according to legend, if you caught an apple, you were supposed to peel it in a clockwise manner and then throw the peel over your shoulder. The shape it formed when it hit the ground would give you the initial of the person you would marry.

I have finally figured it out!!! I'm single because I've always been too worried about ruining my costume instead of practically drowning myself in the apple bobbing barrel. You better bet that next year, I'm going to be ready and waiting, covered in a fisherman's raincoat and my peeling knife in hand!

1 comment:

  1. You also have to wonder if its a matter of germs too. I know few parents that would want their kids plunging into a tub filled with backwash, make-up and hair. Ewww:)

    Sarah Choate

    ReplyDelete