Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Monday Classes Test #1 Curve

I always laugh when test #1 rolls around because you guys freak out like crazy, worried to death about passing. I know, I know, it's the first test with a new teacher thing but it never fails that people always do really well. Who knows, maybe it's me and I should make my tests harder so they'll be more of a challenge.

Before I go over the curves, let me go ahead and warn the M/W Columbia class- I WILL NOT have the essays graded for you tomorrow. I'm waiting on the powers-that-be to send out the rubric so at the very least it will be Monday. If they are slower than that, it might be later than that. But I will get them back to you as quickly as I can.

Now for the info you've been waiting for...

Columbia M/W class- your class average on the test was 84! There was a 100 on the test- and don't worry, I'll be bragging on you tomorrow when I hand back the Scantrons- so I had to go to the next highest grade for the curve. Since we had a 98, everybody gets a curve of 2 points. Let the happy dancing commence!

Franklin Monday class- you guys got a sneak peek last night but I did go back and check just to make sure. The class average was an 89- pat yourselves on the back and hope the Friday class doesn't unseat you guys as the test #1 masters- and with 2, count 'em 2! 100's, the 2nd place 98 also gave you guys a curve of 2 points. Happy dance for you guys too!

Two things of note- #1 I still have several folks who signed up for the blog but I can't tell by your screen name who you are (for example, I have 3 William/Wills signed up and I have a total of 6 Williams this semester. I don't know who any of you are!) If you get your Scantron back without the blog bonus on it and you signed up, check with me after class so I can check the follower's list and find you.

#2- don't get complacent. Just because you did well on test #1 doesn't mean you don't have to study for test #2. Often I see a lot of people who do well on test #1 go south on test #2. Don't be a statistic.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so bad with tests, I was relieved my first one felt less ominous than I imagined (but still challenging...no, don't make it harder!). Hopefully I did okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I always threaten that but I would never go out of my way to make a test hard just to mess with people's heads. Challenging maybe. What good is it to teach you the stuff and then make the test so easy you don't even have to study? You won't retain the information. So I go for challenging.

    I think a lot of folks will be pleasantly surprised with their grades. And even those that are bummed need to realize that even the lowest grade in the class wasn't so low that it can't be brought up.

    ReplyDelete