Saturday, December 5, 2009

Musical Review: "A Christmas Carol"

We have a wonderful old theater on the square here in Pulaski that local people have been using for community plays and musicals for quite some time. I just recently found out about it and was excited to go and see their musical performance of the Dickens' classic, A Christmas Carol. Caitlin and my friend Dawn joined me for this foray into culture.

The program itself was absolutely amazing. What really caught my attention was the fact this was the first time onstage for over half of the performers. The actor playing Ebenezer Scrooge was perfect for the role. He pulled off Scrooge's anger, angst and ultimate redemption to a tee. The little girl who played Scrooge's baby sister in the "Ghost of Christmas Past" flashbacks was absolutely endearing. I am so glad that we took the time to go and see this performance.

The only dark spot on the whole thing had nothing to do with the performance itself; it was the audience. I realize that this was community theater, but come on folks! Reserve bathroom breaks for intermission and if you absolutely must get up to go, have the decency to not let the door slam. Another one of my big pet peeves- cell phones! There was one woman who had a 3 minute conversation on the phone, loud enough for everyone around her to hear. Do you know how hard it was for me not to break WWE on this chick with my chair?

RESPECT- it ain't just an old song by Aretha Franklin. Give it to the people onstage who have worked very hard to put on an entertaining performance.

Despite the shenanigans of the audience, I absolutely enjoyed the musical and will definitely check out other things that this theater produces. If you've got some time on your hands, I would encourage you to check them out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment