Thursday, January 14, 2010

Here I Go Again...

OK, so Christmas break is now officially over. My first class of 2010 starts tomorrow and I have to tell you that I'm glad. One of the best things about being a college professor is that there are long breaks between semesters. One of the worst things about being a college professor is that there are long breaks between semesters. I'm always so glad to see a semester end. Not because I'm ready to get rid of my students- you guys know better than that!- but because I really get into my job and it mentally wears me out. Breaks to reboot the brain are good. I always go into Christmas break and summer break with big plans.

This time, my plans were simple. I was going to write. I have another book- one that has absolutely nothing to do with my first book- all outlined out. I just have to write it. That was what this break was supposed to be for. Note the use of "supposed to." With the exception of 2 short stories and a bunch of blog posts, I didn't write the first word. I guess that book will be pushed back to summer break. I'll work on it during downtimes this semester too. Cross my heart and hope to die.

So what did I do over the break? #1, I completely rearranged my bedroom. The addition of 3 new bookshelves for Christmas made this necessary. Despite the sore muscles and multiple bruises, I like the new layout a whole lot better. It looks more like a library with a bed in the middle of it. #2, I got into some major music listening. My poor ipod is probably glad I'm going back to work so it can have a break of its own. But now I don't think I'll ever get "Poker Face" out of my head. #3, I read. There is nothing better than a good book. You can literally immerse yourself into it and get transported to another world- my idea of Heaven. In the 3 week break, I read over 20 books. Again, Heaven!

Well, now it is time to return to the real world, put up the sweats and ponytail holders and get out the makeup and teacher clothes. Thank goodness I love my job!

6 comments:

  1. I'm really glad that you love your job too!... But it's extremely crucial to have down time. You would be suprised how many people stopped acting like themselves when it got close to the end of the semester. Everyone was stressed over finals, report cards, and Christmas shopping. Now that we have returned, people are so much more pleasant and happy. It's a very good thing. We had a bunch of writing stuff today at school, but the senior class got to tour the courthouse. Lovely place... eh, sorta. The stuff that goes on inside is kinda interesting.. but the building itself is drab. I digress... Anywho.. These days waking up doesn't feel good... not rested well enough, but the school work is great. Suprisingly (not really), I started about 8 different books over the holiday and only finished 2. LOL. I'm great...lol. Looking forward to your next book getting finished. Christmas break is not long enough, so don't beat yourself up that you didn't do it then. CAN'T WAIT TIL NEXT WEDNESDAY!!!! :) Can you tell I'm excited?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too! My Clifton class came -thisclose- to not making this semester (having enough students to justify the expense of holding the class). I was biting my nails waiting for the go/no go call. But thankfully even though it's going to be a small class, we do get to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it was only the syllabus day but I truly believe I will enjoy your class. I'm in your American History II class in Columbia. You seem like a real spunky character. :) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Spunky!!! I like that ! I hope you do enjoy the class. I hate boring classes and spend a lot of time trying to find fun stuff and helping you learn- of course
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, she's pretty awesome, Rachel. I second the spunky comment. You'll love her class. Promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww you guys! You're gonna make me blush. Believe me, I'm a much better teacher when I have good students to teach to (forgive the grammar errors, I'm not an English teacher!)

    ReplyDelete