Sunday, January 10, 2010

TV Alert

It's such a good thing that I am such a history buff considering the fact that I spent a whole bunch of years going to school to learn how to teach it to others. I also have absolutely no qualms in admitting the fact that am a #1 humongo geek extraordinare. And it is that history/geek part of me that is doing a huge happy dance right about now.

For the last 3 years I've been totally addicted to the Showtime series The Tudors. The show follows the life of one of the biggest ho-men in history, England's King Henry VIII. It's not exactly historically correct (Henry wasn't as hot as Jonathan Rhys Meyers- in fact he was about 3 times JRM's size) at least it was in the right ballpark. I've been a little bummed about the fact that JRM decided to end his run as H8 at the end of this upcoming season.

But the bums just went flying out the door this morning as I did my crack of dawn check of IMDB's news section (some people drink coffee or have a cigarette as soon as their feet hit the floor; I jump on IMDB, go figure). To replace The Tudors, Showtime will launch The Borgias in Spring 2011. Unless you've had Western Civ or just have a hankering for Italian history like I do, you're probably scratching your head and wondering why this would make me do a happy dance.

Well, Henry VIII and the Tudors are interesting, don't get me wrong. But the Borgias blow them out of the water. Rodrigo Borgia, the family patriarch who will be played by Jeremy Irons (one of my favorite actors BTW) was considered to be the most corrupt Pope in history. He did everything he could to put his children into powerful and rich positions in Italy and Europe in general. "A pope with children" you might be asking with a bit of shock. Oh yeah baby...it doesn't stop there. Let's also throw in ideas like incest, murder, money and power. Tailor made for a Showtime drama, ain't it??? Rodrigo's daughter, Lucretzia, is one of the most pitiful people in history (IMHO) and I'm really excited to see how they portray her. Heck, I'm excited to see how they portray all of it. Set your DVR's now!

No comments:

Post a Comment