Monday, July 12, 2010

Buried Roman Treasure Found in England


There is absolutely no way I could ever get this lucky...

An amateur treasure hunter thought it would be interesting to go over the ground of his Frome, Somerset, England farm to see if he might turn up something interesting. I can imagine him thinking "Hey maybe I'll find a bullet casing or a piece of metal houseware or even a coin or two." How about 52,000+ coins from the ancient Roman era. Most of them are typical run-of-the-mill silver or bronze coins. Granted, they weighed about 350 pounds but there are so many of those coins floating around in the collectors circuit that these aren't really that valuable.

But 766 of the coins were pure gold and minted with the profile of Marcus Aurelius Carasius, the Roman general who ruled Britain from 286-293 A.D. Are you sitting down??? Those 766 coins are worth over $1 million!

The coins were all found in a huge piece of pottery and experts think that most likely they were gathered together by the inhabitants of the 3rd century Roman village in the area and buried as a gift to the gods.

Excuse me while I bum a metal detector and go examine my backyard. My luck is that I'll find a bottle cap or two and maybe a needle from the crackhouse next door.

3 comments:

  1. LOL.. what a lucky guy! Craziness! What made him just decide one day that he was gonna go out and check his farmland? Anywho.. I wish I could get that lucky. I say we break out the metal detectors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have a big farm when I was growing up. If we had had a metal detector then, we might have found a lot of stuff (nothing this great probably!) but now, I can just imagine if I actually found something here, the city government would try to claim it. Hmm, my dad has a pretty big plot of land...wonder if he has a metal detector....hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete