Monday, March 8, 2010

Movie Review: Alice in Wonderland


Those of you who know anything about me won't be surprised to learn that I headed to the theater to see Tim Burton's interpretation of Alice in Wonderland this weekend, along with about a million of my closest friends it seems. I know, I know- I would spend good money and a lot of my much-needed book writing time watching a movie where Johnny Depp was sitting in a chair staring at a wall watching paint dry. Oh Johnny!

However, I was pleasantly surprised to note that this wasn't the Johnny show. I went into the theater thinking "just let it be OK." What was I smoking? OK? OK??? It was SOOOOO good. This was the sort of movie that kids of all ages can get into. The best part about it was that Alice held her own. Mia Wasikowska was great as the titular character- sweet and unassuming when she needed to be, strong and vocal at other times. I especially loved two parts of the movie. The first one was when she chastised everyone for telling her that saving the Hatter wasn't in the plan. She was all like "screw the plan, I'm making my own plan as I go along." (Not in those words of course, but you get the gist) The second was when she came back from Wonderland to confront all the guests at the engagement party and just wailed on all of them. It almost reminded me of the scene at the end of Waiting where the shy, sweet guy lets everybody have it.

The special effects were great. I didn't see the 3D version because I'm not particularly partial to 3D (Lasik and 3D don't work too well together). The voiceovers really got me too. I loved how Tim Burton and the animators didn't make the characters look like the people doing the voices. It wasn't Michael Sheen doing the White Rabbit, it was the White Rabbit speaking with Michael Sheen's voice (Sheen's another guy who makes me drool BTW). Same thing with Alan Rickman's Blue Caterpillar.

And you know I can't end this post without a little bit about the man himself. Seriously folks, who else but Johnny Depp can make a poisoned lunatic look sexy? He's getting good at it though- lunatic yet sexy pirate as Captain Jack, cowardly yet scholarly police investigator as Ichabod Crane, emo science experiment as Edward Scissorhands. The futterwacken scene after the battle- priceless! Even if the rest of the movie had been crap (which of course it wasn't!!!) just seeing Johnny futterwacken was worth it!

5 comments:

  1. I definately agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post completely. I loved Alice. I'm not partial to Tim Burton, so I wasn't sure how I'd like this. I was very satisfied with how it turned out. I vividly remember how confused I felt when I watched the animated Alice In Wonderland when I was younger. I think there is underlying meanings, but I'm not sure what they are. I also enjoyed the two scenes that you said you really liked. And Johnny Depp was wonderful! He always is. :) All in all, great film.. love the butterfly at the end. The Blue Caterpillar was always my favorite. I love that he smokes.. don't know why.. it's amusing though. LOL. Recommend this movie to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The futterwacken was amazing. I did not expect to enjoy the movie as much as I did and being one who has watched the animated version countless times as a child [I guess I liked all the pretty colors], I didn't know what to expect with this one but I really did like it and I liked how they incorporated her being there as a child for those of us who only remember her being there as so. I,too, was glad it was all about Johnny but I really enjoyed his character and agree that he can make any weird character look cool or even sexy. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please, in my world, breathing is all about Johnny!

    ReplyDelete