Friday, March 26, 2010

TV Review: Glee


I'm not usually a fan of comedies. Don't ask me why; I'm just a drama kind of girl. But everybody needs those ROTFL moments just to recharge an overly dramatized brain. You know what Reader's Digest says, Laughter is the best medicine.

Well, I have found my medicine.

I saw the previews for Glee leading up to its premiere and thought, "Oh **** no!" I suffered through high school and I am so glad that nobody walked around throwing slushies into geeks' faces or I would have been dripping in grape goo all the time. So I avoided Glee like the plague.

Enter Friend Dawn. She was always gushing about the show and put the DVD on her must-have-for-Christmas List. She kept telling me and Caitlin that we absolutely had to watch it but we've been putting it off in favor of other, more dramatic things.

Fast forward to Wednesday night. She came over, bringing Glee with her. I figured one episode, maybe two. I just couldn't watch kids getting humiliated.
Whatever! I have never laughed so much in my life. It was absolutely hilarious and we ended up watching 5 episodes that night. Yesterday, Caitlin and I spent the day finishing the rest of the box set. Glee is the story of the glee club in an Ohio high school. Mr. Shoe, their director, is really into his job, and believe me, these folks can sing. Everybody is against them because, well, glee club is for geeks. When a few football players and cheerleaders join (for various funny reasons), they get lumped into the geek category and get the slushie facials.

Glee stands out for two reasons or should I say people. First, Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester, coach of the Cheerios. She hates Glee because it takes attention away from her award-winning cheerleaders. She also loves to hand out her opinions, to students and her colleagues and via her weekly program on the local news. You can't help but laugh watching this woman.

The second reason is Matthew Morrison as Mr. Shoe. Morrison is a Broadway vet so of course his singing and dancing are amazing. I would give anything if I could break out in song like that in class, maybe even bust a move or two but rather than getting applause, I would probably get shot. Still Morrison does a great job playing the teacher who cares so deeply for his kids that he would do anything for them. You know that's a man after my own heart. And of course he's easy to look at so that makes it even better.

If you haven't watched Glee, you really should. It is so worth it. New episodes start back on Fox in mid-April, so watch the box set so you'll be caught up!

4 comments:

  1. I know! I absolutely love love love this show! It is my top show for today, after FRIENDS went off air in 2004. I love it SO much and cannot wait til it come back on April the 13th! So glad you wrote a blog about this. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not gonna say I told you so....Wait, yes I am. I TOLD YOU SO!!!!
    Ahhh, counting the days until April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ***bowing to the amazingness that is Dawn***
    I am not worthy. I am not worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen up cheerios we all know that Sue Sylvester is the greatest and thats how Caitlin "C's" it.

    ReplyDelete