Sunday, February 28, 2010

An A-MUSE-ing Adventure


Pun intended and amusing doesn't even come close to describing mine and Caitlin's trip to see Muse last night. Amazing is much more like it!!!!

You can't live in my house and not be a Muse fan because they are Caitlin's favorite band. She got me into them and now I can't live without them either. To me, they are like the 21st century version of Queen- one of my top bands of all time. We drove 6 hours to the other side of Atlanta to see them play last night at the Gwinett Center. And it was oh so much more than worth it!!!!

Things I learned from this excursion...#1- note to self, Caitlin is not a good navigator. Must get a GPS. #2- ibuprofen and caffeine pills are necessary for trips like this. Put some in the glove compartment. #3- Mapquest doesn't take into account Saturday evening Atlanta traffic. It said 4 1/2 hours drive time when it actually took us a little over 6. #4- the crazy folks come out in droves for concerts like this.

Before I discuss the music itself, I have to tell you about the aforementioned crazies. I people watch everywhere I go and believe me, there was a lot to look at last night. The first crazy we encountered was on the walk into the venue. Some dude was handing out pamphlets urging us to force the government to re-examine 9/11. So not the place for such things. Then we got inside and to our section. I swear Snooki from Jersey Shore was knee walking drunk about 6 rows in front of us, Jack Black was rocking out to our right- nearly taking out the people beside him with his constant fist punches in the air and the Lint Licker Lady from the Orbitz gum commercials was snogging her boyfriend the whole time. Do people people watch me like I do them? I hope not. What really amazed me was the eclectic mix of fans. There were people in their early teens, loads of people my age and a surprising number of older folks. The older folks were the funniest. There was a grandma who made about 4 beer runs (and when I say beer, I mean the big $15 half-gallon size cups). I was shocked she could actually find her seat after run #4. And then there was the pepaw on the row in front of us who jammed to every song. He knew all the lyrics and danced the entire time. It was almost more fun to watch him than the band.

OK, who am I kidding, no it wasn't. When the concert started, I was on my own feet for the whole 2 hours that Muse played, dancing and singing myself. They were better live than on CD. Not a lot of bands can make that claim to fame. They sang about 20 songs and had a great laser light show. They even sang my fave of their songs, "Time is Running Out." I was afraid they wouldn't because it's one of their older ones. Those of you who were in my class last semester might remember that I quoted "Uprising" on the top of one of the tests. Hear it live...you'll be ready to start your own revolution.

The best thing about last night's concert is that we get to do it again in 16 days. They are coming to the Sommet Center in Nashville and we have tickets to that one too. My hearing will be back from concert #1 just in time for me to go to concert #2. If you can get tickets to the Nashville show, I wholeheartedly advise you to. It will be the best $50 bucks you've spent on music.

2 comments:

  1. Caitlin (the great)March 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM

    This was worth the wait!!! Although the highlight of the show was "It's PLUG IN BABY!!" *sighs* just splended

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I thought the best part was the very beginning- the intro leading into Uprising and Resistance!

    Oh, BTW- it's splendid.

    ReplyDelete