Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Book Review: The Hunger Games


I had seen this book on the shelves over and over again. I had even read the back but I kept putting it down. I read the back but the story just didn't catch my attention. I don't know why, but for some reason, I didn't think this one was for me.

And then...my daddy and I talk books all the time. He reads a little of everything, fiction, religion, conspiracy theory stuff- everything. So when he told me he had a book for me to read, I wasn't thinking a young adult thriller. My little sister had to read it for her English class and he read it along with her so they could discuss it before her test. I figured I'd read it just to say I did.

Holy cow! Once again, I flew through a book I never even thought I would like.

The Hunger Games is set in a post-apocalyptic North America. Some sort of disaster (which is never really explained) devistated the continent and all that is left is a capitol area in the Rocky Mountains and twelve districts scattered all over the rest of the continent. Each district is known for its manufacturing, mining or agriculture and the higher the district number, the richer and more important it is. There used to be a District 13 but somewhere along the way, it rebelled against the Capitol and was obliterated.

To keep the people of the districts in line, 75 years ago, the leaders in the Capitol established the Hunger Games. Every year, the names of all the children between 12 and 18 go in a pot and each district sends a boy and a girl to the games. Literally, it's a fight to the death and all of the people watch it on TV (either because they love it or are forced to watch by the police). The victor has food, money and adoration for the rest of his/her life.

This year, 16 year old Katniss volunteers to take her 12 year old sister's place. Katniss knows that her weak sister would be killed on the first day. Katniss is from District 12, the poorest district, know for its coal mining, so nobody believes she stands a chance. Believe me, they have it wrong.

It broke my heart to read a story about children killing children, all for the enjoyment of the crowds, but I couldn't put it down. It really was that good. As a matter of fact, it was so good that I made a flying trip to Wally World to get book #2, Catching Fire, just to see what happens next. Mockingjay, the final book in the trilogy, comes out in August. Believe me, they are oh so worth the read!

6 comments:

  1. These two books are EXTREMELY good. If you do read them make sure you have nothing planned because it's impossible to put them down once you've started them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self...listen to Daddy's book recommendations. The worst thing about these books is that I have to wait until August 24 for book 3 to drop. I won't have any nails left by then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved these books. I even went out today and bought the third one haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! They are SOOOO good. I heard recently that the author has sold the rights to have the first book made into a movie and that they are letting her write the screenplay for it. Should be a really good adaptation.

    I'm waiting with baited breath for book #3 to come in. I pre-ordered it from Barnes and Noble and wish the mailman would hurry up and deliver it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea its coming out next year. I went by borders and just bought it. They were running a sale yesterday on it (50% OFF, i was like heck to the yes)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's why I pre-ordered it online. It was like 60% off at the time. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I should have just sucked it up and bought it at Walmart. Oh well, maybe it will be here tomorrow.

    How are things? Did you have a good summer? What are you up to now?

    ReplyDelete