Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hoppy Easter!


I figure that I don't have to discuss the true meaning of the Easter holiday. I think it's safe to say that most (do you know how bad it hurts not to be able to say "all") Christians know the story of Jesus' death and resurrection. But sadly, the commercialized Easter often seems to overshadow the real Easter.

Makes sense of course. People are going to try to make money off of any opportunity they can and Easter provides the perfect opportunity to make a killing off of parents buying chocolate bunnies and marshmallow eggs just to hop their kids up on all that sugar.

Now this part doesn't make sense to me...where in the world did we develop the idea that bunnies laid eggs? Last time I checked, eggs came from chickens. So why not the Easter Chicken? And why do we hunt colored eggs?

The bunny part is pretty simple. Many centuries ago in the Alsace region of France, people started associating bunnies with Spring, the time of rebirth and renewal. I mean, what better animal to associate with fertility than a rabbit. They spit babies out like crazy.

The egg part developed separately. Again, eggs are a symbol of fertility. Eggs have a lot of protein. You eat a lot of protein, you are healthier and healthy women produce lots of healthy babies. Also the Catholic Church forbade people to eat eggs during Lent- which ends with Easter- so people would gorge themselves on eggs once the penitential season ended.

Why color the eggs? The most common tradition is to color the eggs in pastel or floral colors. These mimic the colors of the Spring flowers that are beginning to bloom in and around Easter. But in other societies, the color scheme is different. Eastern Orthodox Christians color their Easter eggs red to honor the blood Jesus sacrificed. And for them, cracking open the shell of a hard-boiled egg represents Jesus' tomb breaking open.

Also, the more elaborately you decorated your eggs, the more you were showing your piety. Eggs (not just at Easter) became important at the courts of the late 19th and early 20th century Russian Czars who commissioned artist/jeweler Peter Faberge to create a series of amazing bejeweled Faberge eggs. If you've never heard of them, Wiki "Faberge eggs"- they are gorgeous.

So while you are enjoying your chocolate and sugar and singing "Here Comes Peter Cottontail," just remember once again that Jesus is the reason for the season. I hope you all have a blessed Easter and rest of the year to come.

9 comments:

  1. Maybe you should expound on the death and resurrection. I know so many people who say they believe there is a God, but they have no clue as to who He is and what He's done for them. To me, Easter is a time to remember what God did when He sent Jesus as a sacrifice for us. It's a time to rededicate your heart and service to Him, the King of Kings. I love chocolate and eggs as much as the next person, but unlike Christmas.. where I enjoy and participate in gift giving.. now that I'm older.. I mainly see Easter as a serious holiday. It was EXTRA special this year because it was Dad's birthday. Yep, my parents are 2 years and 3 days apart. This year, they both celebrated their birthdays on holidays. Neat, isn't it? Happy Easter to you, and remember that Jesus's love nailed Him to the cross for every person that has and will ever exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true- Easter is a serious holiday. The bunnies and eggs are frivolous, unnecessary stuff.

    Give your dad a happy birthday from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - I don't love Christmas for similar reasons.
    But I am thankful for the Blood, and the Resurrection. And for who He is.
    I might pose the question - if a person doesn't know the reality of Jesus death and resurrection, can they lay claim to a salvation they don't know is available?
    Enjoy this beautiful weather - school is almost out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true! I think what always bothers me the most are the ones who know about all of Jesus' sacrifices and God's will for humanity and STILL ignore it because they want proof. Isn't that what faith is all about. I don't need proof. God is good and we should be thankful for what He has given us rather than looking for what we want.

    And I also agree about the beautiful weather. I am truly thankful to God for flippy flop weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so very smart. I always check your blogs on holidays so that I know what I am celebrating ha ha! See you on Wed. The countdown to Glee starts now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are both so very welcome! I love digging up all the info- just call me Queen History Geek.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, if you read Hebrews, faith is the hope of things not seen. That's who God is. He's the unseen.. lol. Anyhow... I love that you're the Queen History Geek, Ms. Ramona! It rocks!!!! I wouldn't want things any other way!!! Geeks are fine though... You know.. they say, you either are a geek or you work for one..lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need a crown. All queens need crowns. Wonder what it should look like?

    ReplyDelete