Sunday, April 18, 2010

Play Review: Just Another High School Play

Most of the time, high school senior plays are something that you go in, plop down your money for the ticket and then settle into an uncomfortable seat for at least 2 hours of boringness.

Most of the time. Not this time.

This time I was invited to see all of my Clifton babies, dual-enrollment students from Waynes County High School, perform their senior play. From the moment the play started, I was laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face. Just Another High School Play was definitely not just another high school play. Instead it was a conglomeration of all the traditional plays that you see-Our Town, Romeo and Juliet, (fill in the blank with whatever your senior play was) twisted and turned into a completely different form of entertainment.

I knew that something was going to be up when Zach comes flying out from backstage just before the play starts and moves me from the center of the row where I was sitting to a seat on the aisle. He almost got smacked because he said the reason for this is that all the old people had to sit in the aisle seats. Don't make me stab you in the eye with my purple pen!

What made this play so great was the fact that even though I know they had to have spent hours and hours preparing for this, learning their lines, making the costumes and sets, it seemed like it was completely improv.

There are several things that I learned while watching this play:

1. The little girl on the floor in the aisle didn't understand the concept that coughing and flatulence don't necessarily have to go together.
2. Zach and Eric didn't even have to act. They just had to be themselves and it was hilarious.
3. Eric has a thing for polyester, tuna makes him bloated and he waxes his pits.
4. Mercedes can stab a man with a smile on her face.
5. I so do not want to know what happened with Joel and Sexy Nurse after the play.
6. Kathleen can draw!
7. Lauren is a much better actor than me. I would have fallen off the ladder.
8. Taner was so rocking the makeup. He really needs to be modeling.
9. Justin, there is no way I could ever forget you. Especially now that you have given me a lap dance at your senior play!

You all were great. I would watch it a million times and LMAO everytime. Great job, my Clifton babies. See you at graduation.

6 comments:

  1. Awww... we really loved having you there! It made us act better..lol. Glad you enjoyed yourself. I hoped that it would be worth coming to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! I laughed the entire time. Caitlin had tears rolling down her face. I know there were a thousand other things that I didn't talk about above but there was so much to laugh at. You guys were so good that if you screwed up on anything, it would fit perfectly in with what you were doing. When Zach threw Eric's phone, some little kid in the audience said, "Why he throwing his phone like that?" I thought I would die!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was just fun to come together and bond and work on something like that. It was really rough and not funny at the beginning, but after all the practice and the criticism from Miss Kershaw... we nailed it that last night. It meant so so much for you to come. It was also very nice to see Caitlin. Is she going to come to class on final day like she did last time? Or graduation? I can't believe we only have a handful of days left for class. Gosh, it's flown by. I'm gonna be so sad when it's over. :( Makes me feel like crying.. eek, no tears.. not yet... anyhow.. it WAS an amazing play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about the last day of class (it depends on how her finals line up) but she'll be with me at graduation. We'll have to make connections with Katie so we can sit with her like we did at the play.

    Speaking of the play, yes, it was great. Tell all the others to read the blog and comment. I want to hear what they have to say. They were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Ramona,
    I know I am a little late commenting, but thank you so much for coming. I knew you would enjoy it! I am sorry for the comment before the play, but it wouldn't have been so good without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It made so much more sense once I got the "lap dance."

    Regardless, you guys were great! I'm so glad I got to come. I planned on being at graduation too but unfortunately I somehow managed to double-book myself. When I made plan #1, I didn't realize your graduation day was going to be at the same time. Sucks and I'm sorry. Maria is going to bring the DVD one day so I can watch it. You ought to come!

    ReplyDelete